Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Irfan Pathan admits being not in form …


Team India discard Irfan Pathan says he had first realised that he had a 'problem' in his bowling during India's tour of Pakistan in 2004.''I had informed coach Greg Chappell and biomechanics expert Ian Frazer about it. But, due to a packed international calendar they could not work on my bowling mid-way through the season,'' the Baroda all-rounder told a TV news channel.

According to Irfan, there were times when he used to wonder and felt lost on what's going wrong. However, he is philosphical about his present misery and says life is bigger then cricket. Irfan takes positives from the fact that not too many has achieved what he has as a 22-year-old.
Irfan admits it's a 'reality check' for him now that he has to spend time with some of the younger trainers from all parts of the country at the MRF guest house, where he is sharing one room with others, while his colleagues in the Indian team are treated royally.However, Irfan credits his modest upbringing for still being able to keep his head on his shoulders although it's not easy to adjust from five-star luxury to the guest house.''It's difficult to see low after high but I have seen worse things in my life. Here I have to do everything on my own. When you play for county, there are always people around you to help. From picking your kit-bag to pick and drop facility at the airport...But, things dramatically change one when you are out of the Team India...,'' he painfully adds.
He also admitted that he should have come earlier to the MRF pace foundation to work on his bowling action. After being left out from the England tour, he is naturally disappointed but says that he will make most of this forced-break. ''TA Sekhar has seen my bowling from close quarters and he is working with me. His advice and inputs are invaluable and I have found my swing and rhythm back. Sekhar showed me the glitches in my action from 2001 onwards. It's been eye-opener,'' he said.Denying that he was ever confused regarding his bowling, he said that he had shown his video to Greg and Frazer in Pakistan but ''By the time I realised it was a little problem, it got complicated and it became a bit complex. Also, didn't get much time to be mentally fresh during that period.''However, I must say its only a temporary phase and I would definitely be out of this sooner and am confident of being top of the game,'' he added confidently.
Irfan, who was once spearheaded the attack, says in a philosophical mood ''Of course, it is a critical stage of my career and I have learnt quite a few things not only about cricket but also life in general.'' He also dismissed talks of batting having a negative impact on his bowling, saying ''On the contrary, it has helped my game. I am a better cricketer because of it. Since, under-19 days I have been working on my batting. Before Chappell, John Wright too has worked on my batting. The critics would change their opinions once I am back to my best in bowling. They will appreciate my batting skill then.'' Justifying that pace alone cannot guarantee success in international cricket, he says ''Chaminda Vass is an ideal example and role model for us. Wasim Akram will remain my hero since I idolized him from my childhood but I have never tried to copy anyone.''

No comments:

DISCLAIMER : THIS BLOG IS FOR THE PURPOSE OF SHARING INFORMATION S, FREE OF CHARGE, FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL VISITORS. WE TAKE GREAT CARE TO PROVIDE QUALITY INFORMATION. HOWEVER, WE DO NOT GUARANTEE, AND ACCEPT NO LEGAL LIABILITY WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM OR CONNECTED TO, THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, CURRENCY OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY MATERIAL CONTAINED ON THIS WEB SITE OR ON ANY LINKED SITE.